NBC is bringing ‘Bye Bye Birdie’ to Live TV starring Jennifer Lopez. For the character of Conrad Birdie – inspired by Elvis Presley – Rikki Lee Travolta aims to be at the top of the casting list compiled by Executive Producers JLo, Neil Meron, and Craig Zadan. To help in the casting decision process, his representatives offer a comparison of Elvis to Rikki Lee.
1) Elvis was 5’11” when he was an unknown singer, but miraculously started listing himself as 6’ after Col. Tom Parker became his manager and propelled him to fame.
Rikki Lee Travolta has been 5’11” throughout his career, but hopes to one day be famous enough to be listed at 6’.
2) Elvis Presley had a personal airplane named the Lisa Marie.
Rikki Lee Travolta once dated airline stewardesses named Lisa and Marie.
3) Elvis Presley was part Native American (Cherokee).
Rikki Lee Travolta is part Native American (Nez Perce).
4) Elvis Presley was offered the role of Tony in the 1961 film adaptation of the Broadway musical West Side Story, but Col. Tom Parker turned the opportunity down.
Rikki Lee Travolta has appeared as Tony in productions around the country of West Side Story.
5) Elvis Presley scored a hit with the song Blue Suede Shoes.
Rikki Lee Travolta owns a pair of blue suede shoes.